1.5 Tesla Siemens Essenza MRI scanner
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a method of looking inside the body. Instead of x-rays, the MRI scanner uses magnetism and radio waves to produce remarkably clear pictures of your head, spine, or other parts of your body.
An MRI scanner consists of a strong magnet with a radio transmitter and receiver. These instruments gather the information out if your body. MRI produces soft-tissue images and is used to distinguish normal, healthy soft tissue from pathological tissue.
Depending on what information your doctor needs, the MRI scan may require the use of contrast-agent given intravenously to assist in visualization of certain structures in your body. (Info: Siemens )
- At Hermans Radiology we have a 1.5 Tesla Siemens Essenza MRI scanner. It is very patient friendly with a short bore and a flared opening. We strive to make our patients as comfortable as possible during the examinations.
- This is a specialized study and you need to make an appointment. For certain studies you need to go for a blood test prior to the scan.
- Depending on what type of MRI you are coming for, it can take anything from 40 minutes to 1 ½ hours.
- The machine is a very strong magnet and certain metal implants are not MRI compatible. Please inform us, or your doctor if you have a pacemaker or any metallic device implants. Please find attached questionnaire that can be filled in prior to the scan.
- Before the exam you will be asked to change into one of our gowns. All jewelry and watches will have to be removed. We provide lockers in the change rooms to safely store these items away.
- Medical aids require pre-authorization for MRI scans. We will arrange this for you.
Read about the MRI Patient Information