Siemens 16 Slice CT Scanner
Computed Tomography, more commonly known as a CT or CAT scan, is a diagnostic medical test that, like traditional x-rays, produces multiple images or pictures of the inside of the body.
The cross-sectional images generated during a CT scan can be reformatted in multiple planes, and can even generate three-dimensional images. These images can be viewed on a computer monitor or transferred to a CD or DVD.
CT images of internal organs, bones, soft tissue and blood vessels typically provide greater detail than traditional x-rays, particularly of soft tissues and blood vessels.
Using specialized equipment and expertise to create and interpret CT scans of the body, radiologists can more easily diagnose problems such as cancer, cardiovascular disease, infectious disease, appendicitis, trauma and musculoskeletal disorders.(Radiology Info)
- At Hermanus Radiology we have a Siemens 16-slice CT scanner.
- This is a specialized study and you need to make an appointment if your Dr referred you to us for a CT scan.
- Depending on what type of CT you are having, you might have to drink a preparation or go for a blood test before coming for the scan. When you make the appointment, we will ask to see the referral letter from your dr so that we can inform you about the necessary preparations.
- For certain studies an iodine-based injection is necessary. Please bring it to our attention if you have any allergies.
- Medical aids require pre-authorization for CT’s. We will arrange this before your appointment.
- CT examinations can take anything from 10 minutes to 1 hour, depending on what body part we are examining.
Read about the CT Patient Information